Last weekend, I bought a cupcake tin and decided to make cupcakes! For my first attempt, I took a simple chocolate cupcake recipe and make some adjustments:
Basic Chocolate Cupcake Recipe:
- 150g butter (unsalted)
- 150g castor sugar (but I reduced it to 100 g because I don’t want it to be too sweet)
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (I used hazelnut-flavored cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (but I reduced it to 1/2 tsp to make the cocoa fragrance stands out)
Beat with electric mixer until it’s light and creamy, then divide it evenly into the 12-cupcakes tin, bake for around 20 minutes, 160oC.
I thought I might have some cupcake papers at home, but turned out I didn’t. That’s the explanation for the quite-flat appearance of the cupcakes, as when the dough developed, it spilled to the tin’s surface 😀
Well, to save it, I trimmed each cupcake a bit and layered the surface with my own recipe of coffee-Baileys butter cream.
Coffee-Baileys butter cream:
- 100g butter
- 50g castor sugar (you can add more sugar later to the mixture if you like sweeter cream)
- 1/4 cup of coffee-flavored Baileys
- 4 tbsp of coffee; liquid (I used Kopi Aroma :D)
Beat with electric mixer until it turned into a perfect butter cream.
So, there you go, cupcake! ^^
Surely I need more training on decorating with butter cream! 😀
I put it on the fridge (I like it cold) and brought it to the office for this morning’s breakfast.
Those cupcakes were gone quite fast!